2008/11/21 Charles Hixson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> The thing is, MS systems tend to be extremely inflexible.  I.e., they are
> flexible within their predefined fixed limitations, and outside of that you
> need to constantly fight the system to get anywhere.  To me this doesn't
> sound like a good description of a robotics system.

Well with a robot reliability and predictability are highly valued
criteria.  You really want to know that the robot is always going to
react to something in a certain time so that it doesn't crash into
stuff or end up doing the wrong thing.  Microsoft systems are
traditionally poor in areas requiring high reliability, although
things like database systems would seem to be an exception.

However, all of this stuff which I've been blurting out is largely
based upon the past - machines in factories making stuff, and bad
experiences with older versions on Windows.  The future of consumer
robotics could be quite different, but I expect that safety and
reliability are still going to remain key issues even on low cost
machines.  Small toy or hobby robots are not much of a worry if they
behave unreliably, but bigger trash can or human sized robots would be
quite a different matter from a health and safety perspective.

For the immediate future it seems unlikely that AGI is going to play
any major role in this, but I expect that it will piggyback upon the
robotics infrastructure, such as telerobots, which come into service
during the next decade in accordance with the sliding autonomy idea.