Yes, but "rationality without imagination and creativity" is just a
bogus "straw man" construct ... certainly, it is never what I mean
when I talk about "rationality" ...

Obsession with visual images is a whole other issue, though.  It seems
very obvious that an AI or alien organism with no visual perception
could be massively intelligent and creative, potentially more so than
humans.  Vision is merely one particular way of sensing and internally
modeling portions of the physical world.

ben

On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 10:43 AM, Mike Tintner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> You'll remember that I've been saying this for quite a while - now Kevin
> Kelly is saying it - and you'll be hearing a lot more of this
>
> http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/23/magazine/23wwln-future-t.html?_r=2&sq=KEVIN%20KELLY&st=cse&scp=1&pagewanted=all
>
> "Intelligence" that is rationality without imagination, symbol manipulation
> without image manipulation,  basically paper-based rather than screen-based
> (or "consciousness"-based), isn't intelligence at all.

Ben Goertzel, PhD
CEO, Novamente LLC and Biomind LLC
Director of Research, SIAI
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"The empires of the future are the empires of the mind."
-- Sir Winston Churchill