On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 3:19 PM, Ed Porter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Terry and Ben,
>

> I never implied anything that could be considered a "memory" at a conscious
> level is stored at just one synapse, but all the discussions I have heard of
> learning in various brain science books and lectures imply synaptic weights
> are the main place of our memories are stored.

Nevertheless, although it's an oft-repeated and well-spread meme, the
available biological evidence shows only that **this is one aspect of
the biological basis of memory in organisms with complex brains**

There certainly is data about long-term potentiation and its
relationship to memory ... but the available data comes nowhere near
to justifying the sorts of assumptions made in setting up formal
neural net models, in which synaptic modification is assumed as the
sole basis of learning/memory...

ben g