David,

Good point... I'll revise the essay to account for it...

The truth is, we just don't know -- but in taking the "virtual world"
approach to AGI, we're very much **hoping** that a subset of "human everyday
physical reality" is good enough. ..

ben

On Sat, Dec 27, 2008 at 6:46 AM, David Hart <dh...@cogical.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 27, 2008 at 5:25 PM, Ben Goertzel <b...@goertzel.org> wrote:
>

>> I wrote down my thoughts on this in a little more detail here (with some
>> pastings from these emails plus some new info):
>>

>> http://multiverseaccordingtoben.blogspot.com/2008/12/subtle-structure-of-physical-world.html
>>

> I really liked this essay. I'm curious about the clarity of terms 'real
> world' and 'physical world' in some places. It seems that, to make its
> point, the essay requires 'real world' and 'physical world' mean only
> 'practical' or 'familiar physical reality', depending on context. Whereas,
> if 'real world' is reserved for a very broad definition of realities
> including physical realities (including classical, quantum mechanical and
> relativistic time and distance scales), peculiar human cultural realities,
> and other definable realities, it will be easier in follow-up essays to
> discuss AGI systems that can natively think simultaneously about any
> multitude of interrelated realities (a trick that humans are really bad at).
> I hope this makes sense...
>
> -dave

Ben Goertzel, PhD
CEO, Novamente LLC and Biomind LLC
Director of Research, SIAI
b...@goertzel.org

"I intend to live forever, or die trying."
-- Groucho Marx