Matt:Free association is the basic way of recalling memories. If you experience A followed by B, then the next time you experience A you will think of (or predict) B. Pavlov demonstrated this type of learning in animals in 1927.

Matt,

You're not thinking your argument through. Look carefully at my spontaneous

"COW" - DOG - TAIL - CURRENT CRISIS - LOCAL VS GLOBAL
THINKING - WHAT A NICE DAY - MUST GET ON- CANT SPEND MUCH MORE TIME ON
THIS...." etc. etc"

that's not A-B association.

That's 1. A-B-C then 2. Gamma-Delta then 3. Languages then 4. Number of Lines in Letters.

IOW the brain is typically not only freely associating *ideas* but switching freely across, and connecting, radically different *domains* in any given chain of association. [e.g above from Animals to Economics/Politics to Weather to Personal Timetable]

It can do this partly because

a) single ideas have multiple, often massively mutiple, idea/domain connections in the human brain, and allow one to go off in any of multiple tangents/directions b) humans have many things - and therefore multiple domains - on their mind at the same time concurrently - and can switch as above from the immediate subject to some other pressing subject domain (e.g. from economics/politics (local vs global) to the weather (what a nice day).

If your "A-B, everything-is-memory-recall" thesis were true, our chains-of-thought-association would be largely repetitive, and the domain switches inevitable..

In fact, our chains (or networks) of free association and domain-switching are highly creative, and each one is typically, from a purely technical POV, novel and surprising. (I have never connected TAIL and CURRENT CRISIS before - though Animals and Politics yes. Nor have I connected LOCAL VS GLOBAL THINKING before with WHAT A NICE DAY and the weather).

IOW I'm suggesting, the natural mode of human thought - and our continuous streams of association - are creative. And achieving such creativity is the principal problem/goal of AGI.

So maybe it's worth taking 20 secs. of time - producing your own chain-of-free-association starting say with "MAHONEY" and going on for another 10 or so items - and trying to figure out how the result could.possibly be the narrow kind of memory-recall you're arguing for. It's an awful lot to ask for, but could you possibly try it, analyse it and report back?

[Ben claims to have heard every type of argument I make before, (somewhat like your A-B memory claim), so perhaps he can tell me where he's read before about the Freely Associative, Freely Domain Switching nature of human thought - I'd be interested to follow up on it].