--- On Thu, 1/8/09, Vladimir Nesov <robot...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 12:19 AM, Matt Mahoney
> <matmaho...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Mike,
> >
> > Your own thought processes only seem mysterious
> because you can't predict what you will think without
> actually thinking it. It's not just a property of the
> human brain, but of all Turing machines. No program can
> non-trivially model itself. (By model, I mean that P models
> Q if for any input x, P can compute the output Q(x). By
> non-trivial, I mean that P does something else besides just
> model Q. (Every program trivially models itself). The proof
> is that for P to non-trivially model Q requires K(P) >
> K(Q), where K is Kolmogorov complexity, because P needs a
> description of Q plus whatever else it does to make it
> non-trivial. It is obviously not possible for K(P) >
> K(P)).
> >

> Matt, please stop. I even constructed an explicit
> counterexample to
> this pseudomathematical assertion of yours once. You
> don't pay enough
> attention to formal definitions: what this "has a
> description" means,
> and which reference TMs specific Kolmogorov complexities
> are measured
> in.

Your earlier counterexample was a trivial simulation. It simulated itself but
did nothing else. If P did something that Q didn't, then Q would not be
simulating P.

This applies regardless of your choice of universal TM.

I suppose I need to be more precise. I say "P simulates Q" if for all x,
P("what is Q(x)?") = "Q(x)=y" iff Q(x)=y (where x and y are arbitrary strings).
When I say that P does something else, I mean that it accepts at least one
input not of the form "what is Q(x)?". I claim that K(P) > K(Q) because any
description of P must include a description of Q plus a description of what P
does for at least one other input.

-- Matt Mahoney, matmaho...@yahoo.com