From: Mike Tintner <tint...@blueyonder.co.uk>
To: agi <agi@v2.listbox.com>
Sent: Mon, July 19, 2010 2:08:28 PM
Subject: Re: [agi] Of definitions and tests of AGI

Yes that's what people do, but it's not what  programmed computers do.

The useful formulation that emerges here  is:

narrow AI (and in fact all rational) problems   have *a method of solution*
be equated with "general"  method)   - and are programmable (a program is a
method of  solution)

AGI  (and in fact all creative) problems do  NOT have *a method of solution*
(in
the general sense)  -  rather  a one.off *way of solving the problem* has to be
improvised each  time.

AGI/creative problems do not in fact have a method  of solution, period. There
is no (general) method of solving either the toy box  or the build-a-rock-wall
problem - one essential feature which makes them  AGI.

You can learn, as you indicate, from *parts* of any  given AGI/creative
solution, and apply the lessons to future problems - and  indeed with practice,
should improve at solving any given kind of AGI/creative  problem. But you can
never apply a *whole* solution/way to further  problems.

P.S. One should add that in terms of computers, we  are talking here of
*complete, step-by-step* methods of  solution.