Zefram wrote:

Ed Murphy wrote:
     An Oligarch may refuse a proposal by announcement.  A refused
     proposal ceases to be a proposal.

Nice try, but I don't think this will work at Power=1.  Rule 106
at Power=3 calls for a proposal to be adopted if the vote on it is
favourable, which I think your "ceases to be a proposal" provision would
conflict with.

If it's not a proposal any more, then R106 falls silent, yes?  We expect
to get some entertaining CFJs out of this one.

There are, to be sure, several other ways that a Power=1 rule can grant
emperorhood.  Move on half a sentence in R106 and you find "unless other
rules prevent it from taking effect", so you could win with "A refused
proposal cannot take effect even if adopted.".  You could also have had
"The voting period of a refused proposal is 106 years.".

That would be Terrible.

I was just thinking (a few hours ago) that a good legislative project at
this point would be to restructure and upmutate parts of the proposal
system to prevent such abuses.  The objective would be that all the
machinery for adopting Democratic proposals would be at Power=3,

Why not Power=2?

with strictly limited scope for interference by Power=1 rules.

This sounds like an entertaining challenge.