ais523 wrote:

> I would strongly prefer it if rule 2149 was amended the other way, to
> make failed attempts to perform acts legal (e.g. what happens if a
> contest is decontestified but the contestmaster still has to try to
> award points).

Easy argument for EXCUSED for failing to award them, especially if
you're making a good-faith effort to re-contestify the contest.

> I am a roleplayer, among other things, and attempting to
> perform actions is very distinct from making statements (speech acts are
> just the method by which they're performed); likewise, in nearly all
> other environments, the performing of an act has nothing to do with
> making a statement. (In codenomics, for instance, there are not speech
> acts, but instead all rules that allow something to be performed specify
> a mechanism for doing so; even in B Nomic, some actions used to be
> performed by writing specific pieces of text in public messages which
> were parsed by computers.)

Rule 478 explicitly defines "by announcement".  Furthermore, the real
point here is that a scam depending solely on saying "I do X" when it
isn't successful is just as boring as a scam depending solely on saying
"X is true" when it isn't.