On Sun, Jul 13, 2008 at 7:08 PM, Zefram <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> As has been repeatedly pointed out, failing attempts at speech actions
> can still avoid false statements, provided that the statement carries an
> appropriate qualifier.  Formulations such as "If possible I do X." and "I
> attempt to do X." have been commonly used in situations where someone is
> aware of a reason why the action might not be possible, and no objection
> to this has been raised.  In the specific case of registering, "I wish
> to register." will cause registration if it is possible while still
> being a true statement if it is not possible.

"I wish to register" only works because Rule 869 says that it does.
For every other action, "If possible I do X" and "I attempt to do X"
do not satisfy Rule 478's criterion-- that the person performing the
action announces that e performs it-- unless it can be treated as a
reasonable synonym for "I do X", in which case Rule 2149 should apply.
 See CFJs 2069, 1996, 1971, 1609, 1307, 1302, and 1214-15.  Whether
statements of the form "If X, then I do Y", where X is publicly
available knowledge, are effective depends on which CFJ you're using
as precedent, but when X is unknown (such as if the action is possible
in many ambiguous cases) it is definitely impossible to perform an
action with such a conditional.

If speech acts have truth values, then someone ought to sue me because
I have attempted to perform more than one action in the past where I
did not believe the action would be successful: I believed that the
action could potentially be successful, but was probably not.
Therefore I believed it to be most likely that I was lying.

I would also like to note the case of Big Brother, the fictitious
partnership which I claimed to be such in an email's subject title and
which I claimed to register in its body.  I did this specifically
because I believed I could not get in trouble for making a purported
statement of action, even if I believed that the statement was
definitely unsuccessful.  (At the time I was required as a knight to
not publish statements that I believed were false or which I was
reckless regarding the veracity of.  I think "Big Brother hereby
registers." could quite possibly fall into both categories.)

I guess the latter is a boring scam, but I do hope speech acts
continue to be treated more loosely than other statements.  If I am
doubtful about the veracity of any other statement, I can just avoid
making it, or make it to the discussion forum.  But if I want to
perform a speech act, and I am doubtful about its veracity, I must
make the statement.  On the other hand, there is no need to help me if
I want to attempt to perform a speech act which would result in an
outright lie.