On Mon, 11 Aug 2008, Charles Reiss wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 12:08, Kerim Aydin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> Maybe the best way to ensure partnerships live up to obligations may
>> be to allow equity to work on claims:

>> Proto: Partnership equity, power-2
>>
>> Amend Rule 2145 (Partnerships) by appending the following paragraph:
>>
>>  An Equity Case claiming that a specified partnership has failed to
>>  devolve a specific legal obligation onto a subset of its parties
>>  CAN be initiated by any Player by announcement.  The case shall be
>>  considered to be an Equity Case governing the partnership.

> If the original contract envisioned not devolving the obligation well onto
> the parties (quite likely, in fact), then I don't see what resolution the
> equity case could reasonably provide beyond finding that it's not a
> partnership, in which case the case couldn't have been initiated in the
> first place.

If a contract, using its legal representatives, claims to be a partnership
and registers as a player, then it is prima facie "envisioning" the
devolution of responsibilities.  Thus, by the language of the Equity Court,
a failure of the devolution (for example, through it not being well-
specified in the contract) would indeed be "non-envisioned" and the
legitimate subject of an equity settlement--the only thing that needs to
be added is the ability of non-parties to raise the case.

The alternative is to claim a contract is "not a partnership" when it
breaks, even though it may have been a partnership for a long-time.  Such
after-the-fact finding of non-partnership status is worse.

> A better approach might be to have rule-imposed devolution on contracts
> which have officially declared themselves to be partnerships (rather than
> defining partnerships based on their devolution)

There's no strong rules-test for partnership, as we can't (ahead of time)
test whether an arbitrary contract devolves all responsibilities, that's
kind of a legal halting problem.  The best we can do (probably) accept
a formal claim of partnership-ness as accurate and act to enforce the
devolution.

> (a) standing -- it needs to be something weaker than "is a party for the
> purposes of the case", because the initiator should not be subject to random
> obligations the contract imposes on its members or random rewards in the
> equity judgment. It, however, needs to be strong enough that the initiator's
> actual interest in equity is represented; and

All players have an interest to enforcing the obligations of other players.
I should limit this to "partnerships that are players" though.

> (b) definition of equity -- "equity" for partnerships needs to be defined to
> explicitly include this rule-imposed requirement on the contract.
> One approach might be to imagine that such equity cases really concern an
> imaginary pledge of the like
> "Members of the partnership SHALL ensure that the partnership devolves its
> obligations onto its parties." [Except we really need a better definition of
> "devolve" here and there is a huge issue of party-changing scams.]

This may be in there already, if we take the view that a claim to be a
partnership means making a claim to be treated as if such a statement exists
that can be defined by equity.

> Doing this really needs a fix for R101 issues with equity cases --
> especially since such a pseudo-contract may not reasonably be considered an
> amendment of the original partnership contract.

Yes, need to see how those appeals turn out first.

-Goethe