On Thu, 26 Feb 2009, Charles Reiss wrote:
> I think plainly this is not what R1504(d) says since it considers
> whether some hypothetical situation exists where the defendent could
> have believed it did not violate the rule. This perhaps does not
> excuse them for violations after research, but ought to excuse them
> when others who did the same research may have concluded that "no, it
> did not violate the rule".

Part of the *whole point* of this is that the defendant had a chance
to raise any or all of these defenses!  If e doesn't, it's appropriate
for the judge to find against em.  The judge had a confession that was
pretty deliberate-looking.  Look:  if a defendant specifically
says "I'm going to withhold evidence or give a false confession just
to see what the court does", that's eir own business; allowing em to
do so and then penalizing the judge (for it does penalize the judge to
overturn a case) is not reasonably just.

> And, anyways, I do not think it is in the best interest of the game to
> limit the R1504(d) defense like this: doing so encourages people to
> hide their knowledge: if you ever believe that something you and
> others do violates a rule, you're better off pretending not to know
> about it or to have the contrary interpretation, for otherwise such
> evidence might be used against you in a future criminal case.

No, you're best off saying "hey, I just learned that doing this violates
a rule. I haven't done it since I learned that, and I'm telling others
so they can avoid it too (or change the rule; if it's unavoidable, (e)
kicks in).

And again, I'm not even saying that a confession of "hey, I think this
might violate the rule, but I'm not sure so I'm trying anyway" should
be considered a confession; I'm talking about confessions like "ha ha,
I did it anyway".

And what's wrong with addressing this in a sentencing appeal, anyway
(e.g. "yes e technically could have known, but it's because e took the
advice of others, so DISCHARGE is just fine").  I'm leery of setting
culpability decisions that allow people to hide behind "hey, I kinda
knew this was illegal but wasn't sure, so I couldn't have known".

-Goethe