On Wed, 3 Jul 2013, Steven Gardner wrote:

My dim recollection is that it took a kind of high level scam (in the sense
of loophole exploitation, there was no attempt to win) to move away from the
Mutable/Immutable distinction. But we didn't get straight to the Power
system - that came later. The intermediate stage involved the definition of
a class of 'Semimutable' rules. A loophole permitted these to take
precedence over the Immutable Rules, and hence (temporarily) to amend
Immutable Rules with less than unanimous support.

Ah yes, that triggers my dim recollection too :)

[snip]

Greetings,
Ørjan.