Did we ever decide what happens with payments for failed actions? My vague
recollection was that “I spend one coin TO do x” refunds when X is ineffective,
but “I spend one coin AND do x” doesn’t. Is this correct?

Either way, proto: {
Create a P3.1 rule titled Spending: {
When the rules specify that the an action CAN be performed by transferring or
destroying a set of assets, then the action CAN be performed by announcement if
the performing player, in the same message and solely for this purpose,
transfers or destroys the assets as specified by the rules. Players CAN destroy
or transfer assets for this purpose. An attempt to destroy or transfer assets
in order to perform an IMPOSSIBLE action is itself INEFFECTIVE.

For indestructible assets, "spending the asset" is a synonym for transferring
it to Agora. For all other assets, "spending the asset" is a synonym for
destroying it.
} [P3.1 to override Assets, generally allowing asset destruction by
announcement]

[Amend each rule allowing asset spending to perform an action to use the new
terminology]
}