> On Feb 22, 2019, at 12:39 PM, Kerim Aydin <ke...@uw.edu> wrote:
>
> Every so often, someone decides "we're not really playing Agora
> anymore" because (in their perception) we improperly papered over some
> platonic truth that made everything freeze.

That point of view makes me think of the “sovereign citizens” who believe that
their view of the law is somehow platonically right, and that it means they
don’t have to pay taxes or whatever. It’s based on a fundamental
misunderstanding of what law means; it’s a fundamentally social institution,
and so the law really /is/ what the relevant legal actors believe it to be.
That doesn’t mean pure logic is unimportant; but it does mean that logic
“works” only to the extent it can persuade the relevant legal actors.

Seems similar to nomic in that respect. The actual game “rules” are, in a
sense, what the players believe them to be, using whatever interpretive tools
are more or less convincing to them, within a certain overall structure of
decisionmaking (e.g. proposals, CFJs, etc.).