The mirror image assumption is partly wrong, in my opinion, and I don't think
that CFJ adequately considers why.

For rules A and B, let:

“A > B” mean A claims precedence to B;
“A < B” mean that A defers to B; and
“A = B” mean that A is silent about its deference or priority relationship to B.

The mirror image rule posits that {X > Y & Y = X} is logically equal to {Y < X
& X = Y}, and that both situations represent conflicts in the rules. I agree
with that.

BUT in my view, {X > Y & Y< X} is different. *That* example is *not* a
conflict. In that example, both rules agree about the outcome. I just don’t see
how that can be characterized as a conflict.