Here's an updated version to fix some of the issues in the first version:

Changes:

- G.'s suggestion ("regulation-creating entity" -> "regulation-creating")
- Regulation-creating -> binding
- Fixing omd's issue
- Replacing the last paragraph and list of Rule 1742 to permit contracts to regulate their own assets

If I see no serious concerns, I'll submit this as a proposal soon.

{

Amend Rule 2493 ("Regulations") as follows:

   Append the following text to the first paragraph: "Regulations are
   binding."

Amend Rule 1742 ("Contracts") as follows:

   Append the following sentence to the first paragraph: "Contracts are
   binding."
   Append the following paragraph after the paragraph beginning
   "Parties to a contract governed by the rules":

       Contracts CAN define new actions. These actions CAN only be
       sequences of actions that are game-defined, but may include
       conditionals, repetition, and other similar constructs.
       Contracts CAN require or forbid actions that are defined in
       other binding entities. Only as specified by the Rules,
       contracts CAN define or regulate other actions.  Any actions
       that meet these criteria are regulated by the contract. Any
       actions that do not meet these criteria are not regulated by the
       contract.

   Replace the paragraph beginning "A party to a contract CAN" and the
   following list with the following text:

       A contract CAN define and regulate the following actions, except
       that the performance of them must include at least one announcement:

          * Acting on behalf of a party to the contract.
          * Revoking destructible assets from the contract.
          * Taking liquid assets from the contract.
          * The creation, transfer, and destruction of any asset for
   which the contract is the backing document.

Amend Rule 2125 ("Regulated Actions") to read:

   An entity is binding if and only if the Rules designate it as such.
   The Rules as a whole is an entity that is binding.

   An action is regulated by a binding entity if: (1) the entity
   directly and explicitly defines, limits, allows, enables, permits,
   forbids, or requires its performance; (2) the entity describes the
   circumstances under which the action would succeed or fail; or (3)
   the action would, as part of its effect, modify information for
   which the entity requires some player to be a "recordkeepor"; or (4)
   the Rules state that the action is regulated by the entity.

   The above notwithstanding, if the Rules state that an action is not
   regulated by an entity, the action is not regulated by that entity.

   Rules to the contrary notwithstanding, a binding entity CAN only
   prohibit or forbid an action that it does not define; it CANNOT
   modify anything else about the action in any way.

   The set of actions that are regulated by an entity is the entity's
   set of regulated actions.

   An action that is regulated by a binding entity CAN only be
   performed as described by the entity, and only using the methods
   explicitly specified in the entity for performing the given action.
   The entity SHALL NOT be interpreted so as to proscribe actions that
   are not regulated by it.

   An action is game-defined if and only if it is a regulated action of
   some binding entity.

Retitle Rule 2125 to "Binding Entities".

Set the power of Rule 2125 to 3.1.

}

Jason Cobb

Here it is. This one (hopefully) isn't a victim of scope creep. I actually like this one a lot more because it's so much simpler.

{

Amend Rule 2493 ("Regulations") as follows:

    Append the following text to the first paragraph: "Regulations are
    requirement-creating entities."

Amend Rule 1742 ("Contracts") as follows:

    Append the following sentence to the first paragraph: "Contracts
    are requirement-creating entities."
    Append the following paragraph after the paragraph beginning
    "Parties to a contract governed by the rules":

        Contracts CAN define new actions. These actions CAN only be
        sequences of actions that are game-defined, but may include
        conditionals, repetition, and other similar constructs.
        Contracts CAN regulate actions that are defined in other
        requirement-creating entities. Any actions that meet these are
        regulated by the contract. Any actions that do not meet these
        criteria are not regulated by the contract.

Amend Rule 2125 ("Regulated Actions") to read:

    An entity is a requirement-creating entity if and only if the
    Rules designate it as such. The Rules as a whole is a
    requirement-creating entity.

    An action is regulated by a requirement-defining entity if: (1)
    the entity directly and explicitly defines, limits, allows,
    enables, permits, forbids, or requires its performance; (2) the
    entity describes the circumstances under which the action would
    succeed or fail; or (3) the action would, as part of its effect,
    modify information for which the entity requires some player to be
    a "recordkeepor"; or (4) the Rules state that the action is
    regulated by the entity.

    The above notwithstanding, if the Rules state that an action is
    not regulated by an entity, the action is not regulated by that
    entity.

    Rules to the contrary notwithstanding, a requirement-creating
    entity CANNOT add or remove ways of performing actions that it
    does not define, but it CAN forbid or require the performance of
    such actions.

    The set of actions that are regulated by an entity is the entity's
    set of regulated actions.

    An action that is regulated by a requirement-creating entity CAN
    only be performed as described by the entity, and only using the
    methods explicitly specified in the entity for performing the
    given action. The entity SHALL NOT be interpreted so as to
    proscribe actions that are not regulated by it.

    An action is game-defined if and only if it is a regulated action
    of some requirement-creating entity.

Retitle Rule 2125 to "Requirement-Creating Entities".