On Thu, 16 Jan 2020 at 21:45, Jason Cobb via agora-discussion <
agora-discussion@agoranomic.org> wrote:

> I think I remember hearing that the concept of regulated actions was
> created because a judge ruled the other way - the Rules say that someone
> "CAN" do it (even if not providing a method), so who are we to say that
> that person can't do it?
>
> It's very possible I'm misremembering this, but if I'm not, I'm certain
> someone else can describe it better than I can.

It's a longstanding rule of statutory interpretation, alongside such other
nice interpretation guides like "lists are assumed to be exhaustive unless
explicitly stated otherwise", and "every word has meaning", but Agora has
never incorporated real-world statutory interpretation into its
jurisprudence. So indeed, without such a rule being made explicit or
otherwise incorporated, it does need to be specified somehow!