On Mon, 8 Jun 2020 at 21:06, Jason Cobb via agora-discussion
<agora-discussion@agoranomic.org> wrote:
> On 6/8/20 4:51 PM, nch via agora-discussion wrote:
> > 1 seems unconvincing. The NAX now requires simple majority for
> > amendments (meaning not all members need to publicly consent to the next
> > change), and I think everyone would accept that that mechanism works
> > because all members consented to the mechanism.
> >

> Sure. Only one of the conditions for consent in Rule 2519 has to be met.
> A contract with an explicit amendment mechanism likely falls under
> condition 2 or condition 4, but I don't think it falls under condition 1.
>
> My reading of condition 1 is that the person had to explicitly consent
> to that specific change, but a failure to do that doesn't necessarily
> preclude the other conditions from saying e consented.
>
> --
> Jason Cobb

There are convincing arguments in this thread on my paradox attempt
won't work. Should I withdraw the CFJ, or just leave it open since the
judge has plenty of gratuitous argument they can cite? (They could
probably just cite Jason's argument and be done with it.)

I didn't have a lot of hope for this, but couldn't resist.

I'll add one more argument against a PARADOXICAL finding:

The precedent in CFJ 3768 makes me suspect any kind of attempt to
build a paradox only on a contract is bound to fail. If we pretend
grok's, Jason's and ATMunn's arguments in this thread fail, then I
suspect it just turns out Cuddle Beam's by announcement action was not
"unambiguously and clearly" specified, which would make this FALSE.
(So, kind of similar to Jason's point about consent.)

My summary of the other arguments presented

* grok points out the spell is only described as removing "scams", not
*all scams*.

* Jason argues Cuddle Beam probably didn't consent to eir contract
being changed.

* ATMunn points out "scam" isn't defined by the rules (though I wonder
if that means we need to figure out what "scam" means to Agorans,
since the contract doesn't explicitly define the term)

- Falsifian