> > What is the advantage of arbitration by contract over just having the
> > Referee / CFJ system handle things?
>
> The Referee and judges didn't necessarily opt in to being involved in
> every possible contract dispute (and it allows more flexibility than the
> rules currently do). And, if we end up using contracts more, then it
> allows spreading dispute resolution between more people than shunting it
> all onto the Referee.

I like the idea of relieving the Referee's burden. I wonder if we
should actually encode some relief in the rules somehow, because as I
understand it, taking the burden off the Referee with a contract like
this is an entirely voluntary measure. I don't know how that would
work. Maybe finger-pointing fees?

Actually, that could be a use for a limited asset. Call them Fingers,
you pay one to point a finger, at most N Fingers exist at any given
time, and they're gradually replenished somehow when there are fewer
than N (auctions?). Not actually advocating for doing this now, but
maybe if Referee load actually became an issue...

> > Here's a thought. Punishing contract members with blots is a net loss
> > to parties to that contract. Maybe a contract would wish to have its
> > own punishment mechanism where the loss of the convicted is the gain
> > of the other parties*. They would need some way to make decisions on
> > that. They could use the CFJ system to determine whether an infraction
> > occurred, but the Arbitration contract offers discretion in the size
> > of the penalty which could be an advantage.
>
> Interesting idea, but I don't think that needs to be in version 1.

Agreed, if you have customers for version 1 as written.

- Falsifian