> The reason is simple and comprehensive....
>
> Assume a population with ANY distribution of
> elements. Then randomly select
> a number of sample elements from the population to
> characterize the
> underlying population. That distribution of sample
> elements ALWAYS tends
> toward a normal [Gaussian] distribution. And the
> mean and standard deviation
> of the sample distribution are unbiased
> representations of the mean and
> standard deviation of the underlying population.
Things have obviously changed since I was a lad. I was
taught that the Central Limit Theorem was a theorem
NOT a law. There are distributions which do not
conform to this behaviour and (alas for us) the
lognormal is one of them.

The Central Limit theorem also does not apply to mixed
distributions or in cases of non-stationarity. Mind
you, neither does geostatistics................

Isobel Clark
http://geoecosse.bizland.com/news.html

http://uk.my.yahoo.com

* As a general service to the users, please remember to post a summary of any useful