If I have to give up on Akka remote because it is slow, I'll just switch to
something like Vert.x, not sure what's going on here or why it has such
little importance when it is part of Akka selling speech: "Location
transparency" or is it only an advertisement but not used much in practice
because of its performance?

I think Akka remote performance is a very important aspect for Akka and
should deserve a higher priority but hey, I'm only one Akka user maybe the
other thousands think otherwise.