That’s a most interesting point and I’ll give you my opinions from my
perspective given I’ve owned quite a few Internet radio devices.
Portable self-contained Internet radio sets have not taken off in the market
which perhaps isn’t surprising given the popularity of Smart Phone devices so
really there’s no need for such a device.
I have had a number of Sangean Internet radio sets that have provided me with
accessibility but that accessibility to the radio was provided by an App on a
Smart Phone but still the radio talked and we come back to the same question,
what was the point when my Smart Phone could do all that? The only point was
that I now had access to the display text of DAB+ and FM broadcasts.
So I guess technology when it all is boiled down is as useful as you yourself
want it to be or make it.
Other Internet radio sets I’ve used with great success include the Logitech
U.E. Smart Radio or Squeezebox range which are still available if you know
where to look and still supported.
These radios are accessed either by an App on your Smart Phone or directly via
a HTML web page.
You can set alarms on these devices, set up one touch presets, add extra radio
services such as Sky FM or whatever it calls itself these days etc.