> > >         pcm.via82xx {
> > >            type hw
> > >            card 0
> > >         }
> > >
> > >         ctl.via82xx {
> > >            type hw
> > >            card 0
> > >         }
> > >
> > > Maybe I need to include the ',1' interface somehow? How would I do that?
> >
> > Add 'device 1' to {} section.
> >
> >                                             Jaroslav
>
> Thanks Jaroslav!
>
> Will this make device 1 default for all applications that require sound but
> do not ask for anything specific in terms of interfaces?

The applications should use 'default' device name in that case. You can
override it, of course:

pcm.!default {
        ... put your configuration here ...
}

You will propably copy pcm.via82xx configuration.

Or you can redirect the default device to some another pcm:

pcm.!default pcm.via82xx

Linux Kernel Sound Maintainer
ALSA Project, SuSE Labs