Takashi Iwai wrote:

pcm.foo { type plug slave { pcm bar } } pcmp.bar bar_playback pcmc.bar bar_capture

i think it's a big restriction.

As a matter of personal preference I very much prefer this latter form

i do, too.

but it means that the inline definition isn't equivalent any longer
with the external definition, since you cannot express the
playback/capture-only pcm in the inline slave pcm.  that's what i'm
concerned.

This is true only inside duplex PCM definition and I like to consider that a feature, i.e. duplex definition should be the same for both directions.

Technically they're quite the same.

also my asym plugin, too :)  it doesn't introduce any overhead except
for parsing.

It's true but I'd prefer to not have too many PCM types.

Take also in account that the association between playback stream and capture stream is definitely arbitrary and a well written duplex ALSA native application should ask for two PCM names.

I fear that this extension will encourage bad programming practice.

Thinking further, I've changed my mind: what about to have an OSS emulation specific configuration?

Just like:

aoss_pcm_w.dsp0 dmix
aoss_pcm_r.dsp0 dsnoop

I think it's a far better solution and will leave native library intact.

--
Abramo Bagnara                       mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Opera Unica                          Phone: +39.0546.656023
Via Emilia Interna, 140
48014 Castel Bolognese (RA) - Italy