At Wed, 10 Mar 2004 11:28:39 +0100 (MET),
Clemens Ladisch wrote:

> Willie Sippel wrote:
> > > But I'm not sure about, wether the NDA agrees in the basic alsa
> > > principles. What are the developers of alsa are thinking about that
> > > agreement?
>
> AFAIK drivers for ATI hardware are developed in a similar way (ATI
> gives specs under an NDA, the resulting driver is open source).
>
> Takashi, is that right?

yes.  but just make sure that you will release the driver source codes
under GPL even after you get the datasheet under NDA.  that is, the
information there can be used as a public form.
(thus, in many cases, you don't need even NDA - it's just a question
 of trust.)

BTW, the firmware binary is not a part of the driver, so it's not
necessarily in the GPL form.  it can be distributed as a binary.
i think many companies are afraid of opening their DSP source codes
rather than the driver codes.  it's no problem if the DSP is apart
from the driver.

Takashi