(Trying again, to the list, this time.  <slaps self>)

On 12-Dec-01, Nathan A. Smith wrote:

> Some of the alsamixer settings seem to work and others (most) don't
> do anything. Specifically, EMU10K1 PCM works like the master volume
> (the actual master volume doesn't do anything) and the wave surrond
> seems to work -- but nothing else.

This sounds rather like the problem I was having - sound only from the
rear speaker jack, no volume control.

Start alsamixer and try muting (or just toggling) the "ADC/DAC Loopback"
switch.  Make sure you have your speakers plugged into the front
line-out socket.
--
Adam Jones ([EMAIL PROTECTED])(http://www.yggdrasl.demon.co.uk/)
.oO("uuuuuuuuuhhhhhhh......................BRAINS!!"                   )