I found the problem.  Not only do I have to crank up the volume,
but I have to unmute all the channels (and there are lots) that I
care about.  All is well now, and Mandrake Control Center *DID*
it's job to configure my card.  Now if there was just some way to
turn on the speakers by default and set all the volumes low,
maybe 10%.  It seems that I see tons of postings about ALSA
driven sound cards being muted.  Even so, with this new card, I
missed it in the maze of config data.  So, it wasn't my IRQ.

Cheers....