sto...@safe-mail.net wrote:
> The card is enabled in the BIOS,

Is the entry "Enabled" or "Auto"?  The latter means the BIOS
automatically disables it when it finds another sound card, because,
apparently, it doesn't expect anybody would want to use it when there
is a _real_ sound card.

This is common with BIOSes for VIA chipsets.  The Linux kernel has code
to forcibly enable the AC'97 controller on VT8237-based mainboards.
In the case of older mainboards like yours, which sometimes didn't have
audio, this cannot be done automatically.

Also check that Sound Blaster emulation is disabled.

> but does not appear in the lspci output.

Please show the lspci output.

> I was also surprised to find that Asus supplies drivers that support
> RedHat 6.2.

This is no surprise if you consider that RH 6.2 comes with kernel 2.2.14,
which didn't yet have ALSA.

I strongly suggest you forget those drivers and use the snd-via82xx
driver of your distribution, which is likely to be newer by about eight
years or so.

HTH
Clemens