I have an old Creative Soundblaster Audigy2 NX that I would like to use it
and the bundled remote for XBMC. I have everything working except I have an
hardware mute button as well as mute on remote

I have never been able to program the remote in a way to get mute and
unmute to work. I believe there may be some interfaces missing in the ALSA
mixer/controls support, such as hardware mute status and "Master Playback
Switch" is clearly missing from the mixer. There is also no control for a
aster volume in the mixer , nor any kind of mute

when I use mute and unmute on logitech keyboard all is well except no
"mute" indicator lights on Audigy. I can then unmute normally with keyboard
(not with remote as this will then activate a different mute)

when I use the remotes mute function (which is also configured to send a
mute via XBMC), or the mute on Audigy unit itself, the "mute" indicator on
Audigy lights up. Unit can only be unmuted with amixer -c 1 cset numid=5 0
followed by amixer -c 1 cset numid=5 1

I suspect this second (hardware?) mute is differen tand probably done at
the hardware level and with "Master Playback Switch", as compared to
keyboard mute.

can this get worked into the configuration as a quirk or something with the
driver for the Audigy 2 NX?

The following may be helpful

amixer controls shows among other items numid=5,iface=MIXER,name='Master
Playback Switch'

Must always mute with: amixer -c 1 cset numid=5 0

Then we can always unmute with: amixer -c 1 cset numid=5 1

Seems I have the solution but need to customize alsa somehow!