I am posting what I see ! Perhaps your interpretation is contradictory as
it appears to be with the alsa devs. The point being is that what I can
toggle with amixer and hardware mute on audigy or remote,  is not available
in any mixer control! You can say they are contradictory however what I
need is to change the mute/unmute behavior to conform to the hardware mute
method such as I use amixer for. Amixer is the ONLY available unmute method
when hardware mute is used on Audigy or remote.

I know the xbmc does a different mute because I programmed the xbmc mute on
the remote . Even when deactivated or when not running xbmc the
aforementioned hardware mute buttons behave differently than a software
mute

I have also created situations where the hardware mute is off and the
software mute is on and visa versa