Alan Bromborsky wrote:
> I am trying to play the output (amplified to line level) of a turntable
> through my computer with a volume control that works.  The audio output
> of the computer is via an Nvidia hdmi to a surround sound preamp.  The
> input is the analog line in connection of a Xonar D2 sound card
> (eventually the D2 will replace the surround sound preamp).  I can play
> the records with either of the below commands -
>
> built-in:
>
> |    pactl load-module module-loopback
>
> or, try ecasound:
>
>     ecasound -i alsa -o alsa
>
> but I cannot control the volume.

The Xonar D2 has not volume control on its input; it assumes that the
input signal has line level, and that you can control the playback
volumn with its playback controls.

The HDMI output does not have a volume control because it assumes that
the destination device already has one.

PulseAudio appears to have a loopback volume control:
http://askubuntu.com/q/440562/90892

Regards,
Clemens