Hi Pierre Lorenzon!

 On 2015.09.27 at 19:13:17 +0200, Pierre Lorenzon wrote next:

> In fact I expected such an answer but I would like not use jack
> or pulse if not necessary. If the asus xonar essence stx is
> able to mix sources there's no need to use more only enable it.

Xonar STX ("AV100" chip which is basically the same as C-media 8787)
does not support mixing multiple sources. So you have to either use
pulseaudio or rely on something like dmix.

(jack works too but I wouldn't recommend it unless you need low latency
audio in professional audio-related applications, it can be a headache
when used for typical multimedia tasks with random crappy software that
wants to play audio)

Note that if you have first model of *STX*, not ST or second STX model
(actually I'm not sure about second STX), for quality reasons you'd want
to avoid 44100/88200/176400 audio sample rates, so instead of default
pulse configuration when it tries to pick audio rate to avoid conversion
(e.g. you're playing single stream of 44100 music in your audio player -
it sets card audio rate to 44100 because card supports it), you should
lock the rate to 96000 or 192000 instead, e.g.

default-sample-format = s24le
default-sample-rate = 96000

in pulseaudio's daemon.conf

Lower audio quality and lower SNR in 44100 and multipies of it is quite
audible. However, this only applies to PCI-E model (STX), PCI model (ST)
has no problems with any rates.

--

Vladimir