Pierre Lorenzon wrote:
> There are two sound card on the system. A chips on the mother
> board which is driven as far as I know by an hda intel driver
> and a PCI xonar STX card.
>
> On the first one mixing is possible : I mean that if a sound
> process as aplay for instance is running and you start another
> one like mplayer for instance sound is mixed and you might
> listen to the two sources taht are played.
>
> With the xonar STX card it does not seem to be possible.

Neither hardware supports mixing.

Dmix (or PulseAudio) is enabled by default, but when you're
using a device name like "hw" or "plughw" to access the other
card, this is bypassed.  In theory, "default:X" or "dmix:X"
should work for any card.

Did you redefine the "default" ALSA device?  If not, do
"aplay -D default:STX something.wav" and
"mplayer -ao alsa:device=default=STX something.mp3" work?

Regards,
Clemens