<#part sign=pgpmime>
On Sun, 25 Mar 2012 20:25:25 -0600, Bryan Schmidt <bts-rock...@bluefx.com>
wrote:

> What are the four holes on the middle of the TeleMini?  They look like they
> might be for a CMOS level serial header.

They're actually the programming interface (we have to get bits onto the
chip somehow...)

> If so, can they be used to reprogram the TI SOC?

It's the same pin-out as the Debug connector on TeleDongle and
TeleMetrum.

> If so, is it theoretically possible for me to modify the firmware to
> accept serial input data and transmit that data to the ground?

Those two pins are just general GPIOs, not a serial port, so getting
data into them would be a bit tricky unless you were willing to bit-bang
I2C or SPI.

> I am interested in a radio link
> for my own electronics projects, but the RF part doesn't really interest
> me.  X-Bees and so on do not have the range and very low power requirements
> that TeleMetrum products do.  And since i need deployment control anyway,
> TeleMini seems like its worth considering.

TeleMini doesn't have the wires necessary -- the board is just too
small. Both TeleMetrum and TeleDongle have a SPI interface
available. There's even support for companion boards in the default
TeleMetrum firmware.

So, if you need companion port support *and* ejection control, you can
use TeleMetrum. If you just need an RF link, you could fly a TeleDongle,
if you were willing to bodge the power connection
together. TeleMini is just too tiny to have the necessary connectors though.

-keith