Kurt <ksav...@sbcglobal.net> writes:

> I'll be doggone that I couldn't get better than about 95 foot accuracy
> and many times > 150' error distance when using this setup.

Hrm. I haven't experience that with my FT1D that has a built-in GPS
receiver, so I'm reasonably comfortable believing that the APRS packet
is at least not entirely broken.

> I don't know if the compressed packets are the issue or what.

It does make one wonder. Compressed packets actually offer better
accuracy than the uncompressed data. My FT1D also decodes and displays
the compressed height data, but not the comment convention used to place
height data in an uncompressed packet.

I've added the ability to send uncompressed APRS packets for some older
receivers that don't like the compressed stuff; I wonder if that will
provide better results for you? If you're up for an adventure, I've got
a test build of AltosUI and TeleGPS that I made which include this new
feature.

Let's see if switching to uncompressed APRS format makes your receiver
happy.

http://keithp.com/~keithp/altos-1.6.1/

It's version 1.6.0.1, but the code will eventually end up in 1.6.1. This
code has had limited testing on the hardware, but it should be 'just
fine' on TeleGPS. I wouldn't use it on flight computers though...

--
-keith