Thanks for the great info Bdale.

Stewart

On 11-Aug-18 4:39, Bdale Garbee wrote:
Stewart Campbell <stewartcampb...@optusnet.com.au> writes:

  Which gplEDA tools are used for the schematic and PCB designs
please?  There seems to be a number of tools available at
http://www.gpleda.org and I was wondering which ones you specifically
use for the Altus Metrum products please?
We currently use gschem for schematics and pcb for the board designs.

If you just want to look at our designs, I try to post PDF files of the
schematics and board artwork for each product at altusmetrum.org.  If
you find something missing, let me know and I'll correct that.

If you want to do more than just look at existing designs, the easy
thing to do is install Debian on something (virtual machine, even), and
then install the 'geda' and 'pcb' packages.

To work with our designs, you need to check out both the hw/<product>
repository *and* the hw/altusmetrum repository from git.gag.com.  The
altusmetrum repository has all the part information used by our
designs... Keith and I have a "preferred parts" database and use only
schematic symbols and pcb footprints that we've vetted ourselves.

Also, note that I'm currently investigating lepton-eda (a fork of the
geda-gaf suite that appears to be better maintained now) as a possible
replacement for gschem for schematic capture, and we're starting to move
towards pcb-rnd for new board designs (it started as a fork of pcb but
is now much more capable).  I maintain the pcb-rnd package for Debian
and have built lepton-eda packages, but am waiting for the next upstream
release of lepton-eda (maybe this weekend) before uploading those to
Debian.

Bdale