Though I've been administering an amanda setup for some months now, I
still consider myself a newbie as there's so many nuances I haven't
explored yet. Being a live system tends to discourage the kind of
blind  experimentation which is my usual learning method :)

It seems that the setup I've inherited has no indexing enabled, and
I'm at a loss to understand why given the advantages. Is there some
compelling reason to have indexing off? Can I just turn it on?

We have a 7 tape dds4 autoloader, running on Red Hat 7.0.

--
Rob Kearey            Website: http://apac.redhat.com
Red Hat Asia-Pacific  Legal:   http://apac.redhat.com/disclaimer