Robert Kearey wrote:

> It seems that the setup I've inherited has no indexing enabled, and
> I'm at a loss to understand why given the advantages. Is there some
> compelling reason to have indexing off? Can I just turn it on?

I have indexing enabled but I never make use of it.  I'm either restoring
an entire disk or someone's delete mail inbox.  In both cases I use
amrestore.  You need indexing if you want to use amrecover.
I just figure out what tape I need from my printouts.
Only disadvantage to indexing is that it takes some diskspace on the
amanda server.
--
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] - HMC UNIX Systems Manager
  My opinions are my own and probably don't represent anything anyway.