On Thu, 7 Mar 2002 at 12:08pm, Dave Sherohman wrote

> Late last week, amanda started to consistently produce reports such as
> the following:
>
> *** A TAPE ERROR OCCURRED: [[writing filemark: Input/output error]].
> *** PERFORMED ALL DUMPS TO HOLDING DISK.

*snip*

> So, first off, the big question:  Why is amanda first claiming that it
> ran out of tape, then saying that only 27.3% of the tape was used?

The error above is why.  After using 27.3% of the length defined in your
tapetype, the OS told amanda it had hit an I/O error, and amanda couldn't
write to the tape any more.

> Second, the taper stats read "N/A    N/A" for all drives that were dumped.
> This would seem to indicate that nothing was actually written to the
> tape, wouldn't it?  And, based on that, am I correct to infer that it
> would be better to amflush last night's dumps onto the same tape instead
> of advancing to the next one as instructed by the report?

Well, there's either a problem with the tape, the drive, or the system.

> And, finally, how do I actually debug and fix this?

Look in your system logs -- amanda is just telling you what the OS told
it.  There's some issue with your tape drive and/or tapes and/or SCSI
chain and/or ... you get the picture.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering