On Thu, 7 Mar 2002 at 3:05pm, Dave Sherohman wrote

> > Well, there's either a problem with the tape, the drive, or the system.
>
> OK, I can accept that.  And I suppose that, as a result, amflush, even
> if it completes without incident, may well produce an unusable backup.
> But, on the off chance that it works, would it be less bad to overwrite
> last night's tape (since it appears that no device was fully written,
> I would expect everything to still be on the holding disk) or the next
> one in the sequence (which would definitely destroy an existing backup
> volume, but is what the report said to do)?

If *some* stuff got to the tape, then it's an active volume and amanda
won't let you over-write it.  You'd have to 'amrmtape' it and then
re'amlabel' it.  This is *exactly* the reason it's good to have your
tapecycle > runspercycle.

> *sigh*  There it is...  A dozen lines of complaints from the SCSI driver.
> Looks like the drive's been timing out and getting reset.  I would guess
> that this is a problem with the drive, since it's had trouble with 3 or
> 4 different tapes.  Thanks.

Could be.  Or the SCSI adapter.  Or the terminater.  Or the cables.  Also,
when was the last time you sacrificed a goat to the chain, and what color
was it?

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering