On Wed, Jun 05, 2002 at 05:42:35PM +0100, Kenny MacPherson wrote:
> Can AMANDA on the whole only backup < 24GB partitions or is this a tape
> limitation in this case?
>
> I have a /home5 partition on a DELL 4400 running RH7.2 and it's failing
> daily! Other partitions do backup okay. The only issue is that I have a
> Mammoth-2/EZ17 and even when I snip my disklist down to this directory
> alone, it fails to complete a backup.
>
> It's 55GB and AFAICT the M2 should eat that kind of space up no problem.
> It's set for nocomp-high as Exabyte tell me the EZ17 always has hardware
> compression on!

I'm not following your numbers, mentioning 24 and 55GB.

But, no amanda has no built in limits.  Remember amanda just kicks
off other programs to do the backups.  So the question should be
does your dump program or gnutar have limits.  Gnutar itself does
not to my knowledge.  Don't know what your dump program (dump
varys with the system) limits are if any.

However, are you going to a holding disk?
Is the unreserved portion of the holding disk sufficiently large?

Are you writing to the holding disk with no "chunk" size and
encountering single file size limits?

You have not said what the failure messages are?  That might give a clue.

What does your tapetype say is the tape capacity?  Is amanda refusing
to even try, or is it running out of some resource like holding disk
or tape capacity or ...

Is your data compressible.  You say HW compression is on so "the M2
should eat ..."  But random data, semi random data, compressed data,
... all may undergo expansion when subjected to HW compression.

--
Jon H. LaBadie                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 JG Computing