This is both the server and client, and eventually I hope to add more
clients.
the man amanda-auth(7) , didn't tell me how to configure 'local'.
Once I change amanda.conf section
define dumptype root-tar {}
to include:   auth "local"
Now:
  su amanda -c "/usr/sbin/amcheck  Monthly_Mother"
reports:
Amanda Backup Client Hosts Check
--------------------------------
WARNING: mother_inner: selfcheck request failed: mother_inner: is not
local
Client check: 1 host checked in 10.012 seconds.  1 problem found.

Where do I read about why mother_inner isn't local?

On Mon, 2010-02-01 at 10:58 -0600, Dustin J. Mitchell wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 10:32 AM, jo...@msli.com <jo...@msli.com> wrote:
> > I am trying to solve an amcheck error.
> > "Amanda Backup Client Hosts Check" errors with"selfcheck request failed:
> > timeout waiting for ACK".
>
> You're using BSD authentication, which is notoriously tricky to set up
> and debug.
>
> It looks like you are trying to back up the Amanda server itself, so I
> would suggest using LOCAL auth, which does not require any (x)inetd
> configuration at all.
>
> If you are connecting to a remote machine, I would suggest that you
> use BSDTCP instead, or (if you can set it up) SSH.
>
> See the amanda-authentication(7) manpage for details.
>
> Dustin

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  This electronic mail message and any attachment hereto
may contain confidential information of Meyer Sound Laboratories, Incorporated
and is intended for the personal and confidential use of the designated
recipient(s) only.  If you are not the intended recipient (or responsible for
delivering the message to the intended recipient), you have received this
message in error and any review, distribution, or copying of this message or
any attachment hereto is prohibited.  If you have received this message in
error, please promptly notify the sender and permanently delete it from your
computer.