On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 11:37:31AM -0500, upengan78 wrote:
> I have made some changed to amanda.conf. First I have changed disk size to
> 10GB, then number of Vtapes/slots = 29 and also added runtapes = 6
>
> My amanda.conf
>
> dumpcycle 7
> runspercycle 7
> tapecycle 29
> runtapes 6
> dumpuser "amanda"
> tpchanger "chg-disk"                            # a virtual tape changer
> tapedev "file:/random/amanda/vtapes/test/slots"
> changerfile "/opt/csw/etc/amanda/test/changerfile"
> labelstr "TEST-.*"
> #label_new_tapes "TEST-%%"
> #autolabel "TEST-%%"
> tapetype DVD_SIZED_DISK
> logdir "/opt/csw/etc/amanda/test"
> infofile "/opt/csw/etc/amanda/test/curinfo"
> indexdir "/opt/csw/etc/amanda/test/index"
> tapelist "/opt/csw/etc/amanda/test/tapelist"
> #etimeout 600     # number of seconds per filesystem for estimates.
> etimeout 3600     # number of seconds per filesystem for estimates.
> #etimeout -600   # total number of seconds for estimates.
> # a positive number will be multiplied by the number of filesystems on
> # each host; a negative number will be taken as an absolute total time-out.
> # The default is 5 minutes per filesystem.
> #dtimeout 1800    # number of idle seconds before a dump is aborted.
> dtimeout 3600    # number of idle seconds before a dump is aborted.
> ctimeout 30      # maximum number of seconds that amcheck waits
>                  # for each client host
>

> holdingdisk hd1 {
>     directory "/another drive/amanda/amandahold/test"
> }
>
> define dumptype comp-tar {
>     program "GNUTAR"
>     compress fast
>     index yes
>     record yes  # Important! avoid interfering with production runs
> }
>
> define tapetype DVD_SIZED_DISK {
>     filemark 1 KB
>     length 10240 MB
> }
>
> I am still confused about spanning because
> http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/How_To:Split_Dumps_Across_Tapes mentions
> that spanning is automatically enabled in Vtapes. Now is that for specific
> version that means or all versions and is there any command to verify if it
> is enabled or not? Copying the relevent portion from wiki below.
>
> Disk Backups (Vtapes)
>
> For vtapes, spanning is automatically enabled, as the VFS device supports
> LEOM. You can add a part_size if you'd like to split dumps into smaller
> parts; otherwise, Amanda will just fill each vtape with a single part before
> moving on to the next vtape.
>
>From the same document:

  "In Amanda earlier than Amanda-3.2, this was done with some dumptype
parameters.
   For these versions, see How To:Split Dumps Across Tapes (Amanda-3.1 and
earlier)."

You said you are using amanda version 2.5.x.  Clearly that is earlier than 3.2.

--
Jon H. LaBadie                  j...@jgcomp.com
 JG Computing