On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 16:39:51 -0400, gene heskett wrote:
> On Wednesday, May 25, 2011 04:25:07 PM Jean-Louis Martineau did opine:
> > inetd config looks good, do you restarted inetd daemon?
> >
> inetd is 100% on demand, there is no daemon.

I believe you said in an earlier post that your "shop" machine is
running Ubuntu 10.4 LTS/Lucid.

On my Lucid machine, there is indeed an inetd process:
  $ ps u -C inetd
  USER       PID %CPU %MEM    VSZ   RSS TTY      STAT START   TIME COMMAND
  root      1015  0.0  0.0  10372   696 ?        Ss   Feb08   0:00
/usr/sbin/inetd

... and the inetd/inetd.conf man page contains the following lines:

     inetd rereads its configuration file when it receives a hangup signal,
     SIGHUP.  Services may be added, deleted or modified when the configuration
     file is reread.

These are part of the "openbsd-inetd" package:
  $ dpkg -S inetd.conf.5
  openbsd-inetd: /usr/share/man/man5/inetd.conf.5.gz

So running
  $ sudo invoke-rc.d openbsd-inetd reload
should trigger the config-file reload.

Hopefully that will be enough to get Amanda working again on that
machine...

                                                        Nathan

Nathan Stratton Treadway  -  natha...@ontko.com  -  Mid-Atlantic region
Ray Ontko & Co.  -  Software consulting services  -   http://www.ontko.com/
 GPG Key: http://www.ontko.com/~nathanst/gpg_key.txt   ID: 1023D/ECFB6239
 Key fingerprint = 6AD8 485E 20B9 5C71 231C  0C32 15F3 ADCD ECFB 6239