With luck I won't need this, but one doesn't assume luck when planning backup
systems. ;-)

I've just successfully transferred a tape library from an old Sun E250 running Solaris 9 and Amanda 2.5.1p3 to a new SuperMicro running Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and Amanda 3.3.3. This has been a somewhat slow transition. We have moved that departments web services to the new server and set up Amanda on it. It was backing itself up, and then I moved a few other servers to it late last week. This was being held on a sizable pair of holding disks. The original E250 was still backing up a few other servers and itself. Then yesterday, after the Monday night backups flushed the weekend backups out to tape on the E250, we moved the tape library and switched all the servers to being backed up by the new server. That ran last night, and the tape library is working just fine.

After transferring the tape library, I copied over /usr/local/amanda/etc/daily/tapelist so that the new server would continue with the correct tape sequence. That seems to have worked just fine.

After this has been running for 6 weeks, all the tapes will have been cycled around and the Amanda database will reflect only what has been backed up on the new server. However, between now and then, if I need to recover something that was backed up on the E250, I have the tape library and tapes on the SuperMicro, but the Amanda database is on the E250 for part of the backups.

Is there a simple clean way of transferring that information from the E250 without stepping on the Amanda database entries that have been accumulated already on the SuperMicro?

TIA

--

Chris Hoogendyk

-