Jean-Louis,
Jon,

I've updated my amanda.conf to use auth="local" for the
dumptypes I have in use in my disklist.

> ulimit
unlimited

Per solaris instructions...
> echo 'rlim_fd_max/d' | mdb -k
rlim_fd_max:
rlim_fd_max:    0

> amcheck finsen
Amanda Tape Server Host Check
-----------------------------
Holding disk /lstripe: 546222 MB disk space available, using 546122 MB
slot 9: volume 'Finsen31'
Will write to volume 'Finsen31' in slot 9.
NOTE: skipping tape-writable test
NOTE: info dir
/usr/local/etc/amanda/finsen/DailySet1/curinfo/finsen/_export2_samba_maldi does
not exist
NOTE: it will be created on the next run.
NOTE: index dir
/usr/local/etc/amanda/finsen/DailySet1/index/finsen/_export2_samba_maldi does
not exist
NOTE: it will be created on the next run.
Server check took 4.691 seconds

Amanda Backup Client Hosts Check
--------------------------------
ERROR: finsen: service selfcheck: selfcheck: Error opening pipe to child: Too
many open files
ERROR: finsen: service /usr/local/libexec/amanda/selfcheck failed: pid 5457
exited with code 1
Client check: 1 host checked in 130.727 seconds.  2 problems found.

(brought to you by Amanda 3.3.3)

The new DLE is fact did cause the retained snapshot to change by
one DLE, in alpha order. It is (re)verified that this is not random
and is tied to list position.

So much for the solaris run time work-around.

export LD_PRELOAD_32 /usr/lib/extendedFILE.so.1

then run amcheck.
> amcheck finsen
ld.so.1: amcheck: warning: /usr/lib/extendedFILE.so.1: open failed: illegal
insecure pathname
Amanda Tape Server Host Check
-----------------------------
Holding disk /lstripe: 546222 MB disk space available, using 546122 MB
slot 9: volume 'Finsen31'

FILE.so.1: open failed: illegal insecure pathname
ERROR: finsen: Application 'amgtar': can't run support command
ERROR: finsen: Application 'amgtar': ld.so.1: amgtar: warning:
/usr/lib/extendedFILE.so.1: open failed: illegal insecure pathname
ERROR: finsen: Application 'amgtar': can't run support command
ERROR: finsen: Application 'amgtar': ld.so.1: amgtar: warning:
/usr/lib/extendedFILE.so.1: open failed: illegal insecure pathname
ERROR: finsen: Application 'amgtar': can't run support command

related to suid programs?

Don't want to make further changes before the weekend, think I'll
implement auth="local" for amdump on Monday and see how it performs.

                                                thank you,

                                                Brian