Chris,

We could help if you tell us what doesn't work.

Jean-Louis

On 13/04/17 03:53 PM, Chris Hoogendyk wrote:
I have a group of amanda servers and clients that are all Ubuntu 14.04 with amanda 3.3.6 installed from source with ssh config and user amanda.

Now I'm trying to set up a new client that is Ubuntu 16.04. I saw that the aptitude had amanda 3.3.6, common, server, and client packages. So, I thought, hey, that will make things easy.

Not.

So, it seems they built the package with user backup, home directory /var/backups, and shell /usr/sbin/nologin. There doesn't seem to be any readme or install or configure instructions anywhere explaining how it has been built and how it has to be set up to function. I had assumed it would be largely ready to go, with instructions on what configuration remained to be done.

I also haven't been able to find much of anything through google.

Does anyone have any guidance on this? Or should I just rip it out and build from source? Amanda is one of the few things that I have continued to build from source since I switched from Solaris to Ubuntu several years ago. All the other major packages get patches and security updates fairly regularly, so it pays to stick with aptitude.

This message is the property of CARBONITE, INC. and may contain confidential or
privileged information.
If this message has been delivered to you by mistake, then do not copy or
deliver this message to anyone.  Instead, destroy it and notify me by reply
e-mail