On Friday 17 September 2021 11:55:09 Jon LaBadie wrote:

> I'm seeing instances of wasted VTape with amanda switching
> to a new tape for the last DLE even though there is room
> left on the current tape.
>
> Here is the relevant section from yesterday.
>
> USAGE BY TAPE:
>    Label                 Time         Size      %  DLEs Parts
>    DS1-010               0:08       10884M   10.6    31    31
>    DS1-011               0:51       74205M   72.5     1    15
>
> If combined on one tape it would have only filled 83% of the
> tape.  Earlier this month the numberw were worse, 9% and 66%.
> Even if a second tape were needed, the last DLE should have
> at least started on the first tape.
>
> Ideas?

No, darn it Jon. I just went thru my last 60 days (thats my tapecycle,
and as long as I keep the index data too) doing 89 DLE's from 6 machines
w/o it switching vtapes.  So since I swapped the 1T vtape for a 2T
vtape, amanda has been a happy little housekeeper.

With my schedule, the 2T has been hovering at 49-51% usage.

Copyright 2019 by Maurice E. Heskett
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis