From: owner-amanda-us...@amanda.org <owner-amanda-us...@amanda.org> On Behalf
Of Debra S Baddorf
Sent: Friday, September 17, 2021 5:28 PM
To: Charles Curley <charlescur...@charlescurley.com>
Cc: Debra S Baddorf <badd...@fnal.gov>; amanda-users <amanda-users@amanda.org>
Subject: Re: DLE splitting

ATTENTION: This email came from an external source. Do not open attachments or
click on links from unknown senders or unexpected emails.

> On Sep 17, 2021, at 12:57 PM, Charles Curley
> <charlescur...@charlescurley.com> wrote:
>
> On Fri, 17 Sep 2021 11:55:09 -0400
> Jon LaBadie <j...@jgcomp.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm seeing instances of wasted VTape with amanda switching
>> to a new tape for the last DLE even though there is room
>> left on the current tape.
>
> I wouldn't worry about it. Unlike physical tapes, vtapes all pull
> storage out of the same pool. You might create some more vtapes so you
> have plenty for your storage.

And, as I understand it,  vtapes don’t actually require more space than
is actually ON them.   I.E.  Empty space is still owned by the vtape manager.
Which is what Charley said,  but in different words.

Deb Baddorf
Fermilab